Sunday, June 8, 2014

My First 7th Edition 40k Game...Against Daemons...

Nob Bikers and Deffdred watch a Helldrake fly over.



I was expecting this to be a bloodbath.  I was playing against the new 7th edition daemon summoning factory list and I was...well...worried.   We played an 1850 point game with a Maelstrom of War mission.

My army:

5 Nob bikers
Warboss with bike
Mek with Kustom Forcefield
Deffdred with extra CCW and skorcha
3 Kannons
10 Lootas
2 Battlewagons with 4 big shootas, kannons, grot riggers, and deffrollas
2 dakkajets
1 unit of 19 shoota boyz
1 unit of 20 shoota boyz
Looted Wagon with Boomgun

Opponent's army:

Helldrake
Belakor (the dataslate daemon prince guy)
Daemon Prince
2 big blobs of horrors
2 units of chaos marines
Defiler
Multiple Tzeentch heralds

The Battlewagon let out its one passenger:  a naked mek with a forcefield.  He took an objective, then got immediately eaten by a Bloodthirster.

As I'm new to most of the newer army books and new 40k in general, I was unsure of what most of his stuff did.  I have known my opponent a long time and he's a good friend, so he tried to clue me in on the stuff that I didn't know.  I do notice that 40k Daemons are different from Fantasy in terms of what's good.  In fantasy, multiple skullcannons and nurgle beasts are the best stuff and that's usually all I see.  But in 40k, I notice that Horrors and Daemon Princes are very good units.

We only got to play 4 complete turns before he had to go to work, but it was enough for me to see whether my observations were correct.

First, I was right in that this is the mobility, objective taking edition.  Orks excel at this.  I was taking objectives left and right, especially the ones where you just move to and sit on an objective.

Next, the daemon summoning is about as nasty as I thought it would be.  My opponent had about 20 dice every turn to cast psychic powers with.  Even if I brought a psycher just for defense, it would have been a rowboat paddling in a tsunami against this army.  I was able to weather the storm of spells, but had we kept playing, he would have summoned everything he had in his army box.

Da Red Baron and the Orkpache 'Copta tried their best to take down Belakor the Daemon Prince.  The Jink save combined with shrouding was tough.  I got him down to one wound, but wasn't able to kill him to get the objective points.


Finally, vehicles really did get a boost.  In the games of 6th edition that I played, people shot my vehicles on turn 1.  This time, it's a lot harder to blow them up.  And if the rumors are true of Grot Riggers giving It Will Not Die to vehicles in the new codex, Ork vehicles are going to be even more resilient.

At the end of the fourth turn, I was winning 7 to 5 on objectives, but I think I was going to lose everything but the warboss's unit.  The Nobz were cleaning house.  I had not taken Nob bikers before, mostly because I hadn't built any.  But using all the nobz on tracked wheels that I had lying around (and my new built additional one), I was able to put a unit of 5 together.  This unit will be a staple of my new 7th edition regular list, unless GW nerfs the hell out of them.  They are so, so much better than my regular unit of nobz.

All in all, this is the best edition of 40k I have ever played.  I really enjoyed the mission cards and I think this made the game a lot more fun.  Kudos to GW for (mostly) getting this edition right.

The Orkdeptus Mekanikus holding the line.  Waaaagh!














No comments:

Post a Comment